Sunday, July 25, 2004

Fifteen

INT. - BIOLOGY CLASS - NEXT DAY

The next day in biology class. Students are milling around; Ms. Crandall isn't there yet. Tim sits drums on his desk with two pens. Mitch creeps up behind him and shakes his chair--

MITCH
Hey, have fun yesterday? Where's Sophie?

TIM
Hi.

MITCH
You have fun? What did you do with her? Did she tell you all about me?

TIM
Yesterday? I drove her to Erie and back.

MITCH
Sure you did, Timmy. You know what I think? I think you fucked her.

Mitch tilts Tim's desk back slightly.

MITCH
Was it good? Did you do good?

TIM
Take it easy, Mitch.

MITCH
Why isn't she in school? You put her out of business? Is that it?

TIM
Nothing happened and I don't know where she is.

MITCH
Bullshit. I know what happened. But I don't care. You can have her. Take her. She's yours. Like a curse.

Mitch steps to the other side of the room. Tim catches his breath, shaken.

TIM
She's supposed to be your girlfriend.

MITCH
What?

TIM
She's your girlfriend.

Before Mitch can respond, Ms. Crandall enters, carrying a stack of papers.

MS CRANDALL
Sorry I'm late. I was grading the last of these.

She begins handing the tests back. Mitch backs off Tim and sits down.

MS. CRANDALL
Not good, people. Photosynthesis -- plants make carbohydrates using sunlight, carbon dioxide, and water. Remember?

Tim meets Mitch's stare.

MS. CRANDALL
I know this isn't my fault because few people did very well -- Tim Thompson, Sabrina Adams, Sophie Elliot...

Mitch breaks the stare and slumps back in his seat.

MS. CRANDALL
Let's go over the answers and see what got the rest of you confused...

CUT TO:

INT. - WOMEN'S CLINIC - WAITING ROOM - DAY

Sophie is in the waiting room of a small women's clinic. A copy of Parenting magazine is spread on her lap. She stares at a TEEN MOTHER who smiles weakly back. A NURSE calls Sophie's name...

INT. - OFFICE

Sophie enters an empty counselor's office and looks around. The counselor opens the door. It's Mrs. Thompson, Tim's mother. Sophie doesn't know or recognize her.

MRS. THOMPSON
Hello, sit down.

Sophie sits in a green plastic chair.

MRS. THOMPSON
I'm Claire. What can we do for you...
(checking a file)
Sophie?

Sophie hesitates, and then speaks--

SOPHIE
I'm pregnant. I took a test and I'm pregnant.

MRS. THOMPSON
(still looking at the file)
Sophie Elliot. Are you Luke Elliot's daughter?

SOPHIE
Shit. You can't tell my father about this.

MRS. THOMPSON
You're about sixteen, Sophie?

SOPHIE
Fifteen.

MRS. THOMPSON
(checking a box)
Not married... Do you feel that you are prepared to be a mother?

Sophie doesn't respond.

MRS. THOMPSON
Do you want to raise the child yourself?

SOPHIE
What? No. What about an abortion?

Mrs. Thompson sighs.

MRS. THOMPSON
Sophie, listen: The clinic does not consider abortion an appropriate method of family planning.

SOPHIE
What?

MRS. THOMPSON
What don't you understand?

SOPHIE
I think I need an abortion.

MRS. THOMPSON
This is all I'm authorized to tell you:
(reciting)
The clinic does not consider abortion an appropriate method of family planning and therefore does not counsel or refer for abortion.

SOPHIE
Authorized?

MRS. THOMPSON
Have you told your father about this? There's no place in Missouri that will talk to you unless you talk to your father first. We have a parental consent law here.

SOPHIE
What? Am I supposed to do it myself?

MRS. THOMPSON
Of course not. We'll be glad to help you through your pregnancy. There are plenty of couples willing to adopt healthy babies.

SOPHIE
(standing up)
Stop it. I'm leaving. Good-bye.

Sophie exits, slamming the door behind her.

CUT TO:

EXT. - CLINIC/ALLEY - DAY

Sophie comes out of the clinic and ducks into an alley, hyperventilating. She chokes, heaving as if to throw up, miserable.