Monday, July 26, 2004

Pancho Villa

INT. - PANCHO VILLA'S - DAY

The kitchen of Pancho Villa's, Mexican fast food restaurant. Tim stuffs and wraps a burrito and passes it up front. Other KITCHEN STAFF sweat in paper uniforms over greasy beef, beans, and chicken. CASHIERS holler dinner orders from up front.

From the back door, Sophie watches Tim. She collects herself, putting on a smile, and calls out--

SOPHIE
Tim! Ole!

TIM
(pleased to see her)
Sophie. Hello.

SOPHIE
Look at you in that outfit. So fine.

TIM
How's business?

SOPHIE
Fine...What's that smell?
(sniffing the air)
Smells...like hand lotion!

Tim waves her away with a smile.

TIM
Everything's okay then? With the test?

SOPHIE
(losing her smile)
No... I need a favor. Can you give me a ride to Oklahoma tomorrow?

TIM
Oh, wow... Mitch isn't going to--

SOPHIE
I asked him. No.

A bland-looking man with a moustache in a short-sleeved work shirt comes through the kitchen carrying a cash drawer full of money. This is the MANAGER.

MANAGER
Tim, back to work.

TIM
(to the Manager)
Just a second.

MANAGER
No, this second.

He exits. Tim ignores him.

SOPHIE
I'll go. Meet me tomorrow morning at school. Nine o'clock. You'll be home before curfew, all right?

TIM
Okay, I'll be there.

SOPHIE
Thanks, Tim.

Tim stares after her as she goes. The Manager interrupts his thoughts--

MANAGER
I'm going to have to think twice about your next raise. This isn't play time you know.

TIM
I need tomorrow off.

MANAGER
Tomorrow? Saturday. Who's going to cover for you?

TIM
Nobody, I know. It's slow anyway.

MANAGER
No way.

TIM
What do you mean, "No way?"

MANAGER
You get a girlfriend and you think that you own the world?

TIM
This is important.

MANAGER
Everyone has something better to do than go to work.

TIM
One time. I've been working for you here two years.

MANAGER
You've got a shift scheduled, you work it. That's your job.

TIM
All right... I quit.

MANAGER
Come again?

TIM
I quit.

The Manager looks at Tim like he's a piece of shit.

MANAGER
You'll come back Monday asking for your job back. If I rehire you, it'll be at starting salary. Minimum wage. Try to pay your car insurance with that. You can't quit.

TIM
I do. I quit. I've had enough of this.

He turns to leave. The Manager grabs his arm.

TIM
Let go.

Tim shakes the Manager off and walks out of the kitchen, throwing his paper hat on the dirty floor behind him.

EXT. - PANCHO VILLA'S PARKING LOT

Tim walks out of Pancho Villa's jangling his keys nervously in his hand. Before getting to his car, he makes a quick, determined detour to an immaculate black Honda sports car parked nearby -- the Manager's car.

Tim slowly draws a key across the side of the Toyota, leaving a clear, paintless line. He looks around, walks back to his car, and drives away.