Thursday, July 29, 2004

Man's Unfinished Journey

EXT. - RURAL MISSOURI - DAY

The car pulls onto the interstate. A green sign tells them TULSA...183 MILES. A sheaf of papers flies out the window of the car.

INT. - TIM'S CAR

Sophie sits backwards in her seat, pulling school things out of her backpack, naming them, and flinging them out the window.

SOPHIE
...Vocabulary quiz...P.S.A.T. application....Spanish Workbook..."Man's Unfinished Journey"....

TIM
Is that a good idea?

SOPHIE
Don't worry, it's biodegradable.

But she's run out of school stuff to throw.

SOPHIE
Shit.

TIM
What?

SOPHIE
Shit. I have to do this now. I have no choice.

TIM
There are places you can go.

SOPHIE
Listen, I don't want to talk about it. I've got to figure some things out.

Tim is silent. Sophie thinks, decides, and nods.

SOPHIE
I'm sorry. I've got it figured. It's fine.

CUT TO:

EXT. - GAS STATION/MINI-MART

Tim screws the gas cap back on his car and goes inside the
gas station's mini-mart to pay for the gas.

INT. - GAS STATION/MINI-MART

The chinless mini-mart CASHIER looks Tim over as he enters, then returns her attention to a person crying on a radio call-in show. Sophie is already inside, trying on baseball caps, backpack over her shoulder.

SOPHIE
Tim, check it out.

She models cap -- THESE COLORS DON'T RUN over an American flag.

TIM
Very nice.

SOPHIE
You with me?

She puts a jumping trout cap on his head and slides a pair of dark sunglasses over his eyes.

TIM
I'm here. How do I look?

Sophie takes his head and kisses him hard on the lips.

SOPHIE
Good.

Tim has been taken completely off guard.

SOPHIE
Okay?

TIM
You sure about that?

SOPHIE
You know, I don't see why I should have to tell my father what I do. I don't know why I can't be trusted to live my own life. What gives them the right to control us? Why do they want to? What do they know that we don't know? I can take care of myself. Am I right?

TIM
Sure.

SOPHIE
Give me your hand.

He does. She takes it and sticks it in his pocket, pointing under his jacket.

SOPHIE
Follow me.

Sophie walks quickly toward the Cashier at the front of the mini-mart, pulling a gun from her backpack.

SOPHIE
All right, this is a stick up! Get your hands in the air and keep quiet!

The Cashier doesn't believe what she's seeing. Neither does Tim. He begins to take his hand out of his pocket, but realizes that it's supposed to be a gun.

He's part of the hold up. He's terrified.

Sophie goes behind the counter and points the gun behind the Cashier's head.

SOPHIE
Open the register.

CASHIER
Yes, ma'am.

A muscle-bound MAN wanders in from a back room behind Sophie to see what all the noise is about. Sophie doesn't see him.

TIM
(threatening with his hand/gun)
Hold it!

Sophie spins around and takes over.

SOPHIE
Hands up! Come out here where I can see you!

The Man does as she says.

SOPHIE
Thank you.

She grabs the cash from the register and shoves it in her backpack.

SOPHIE
Is this it? This is all the cash?

CASHIER
A few credit card receipts. You're only the seventh customers this morning.

Sophie takes the gun taped under the counter and adds it to the bag.

CASHIER
The safe's empty...

A van pulls up to the gas pumps outside. Tim eyes it uneasily.

TIM
Sophie--

CASHIER
...I'll show you if you want.

SOPHIE
No. Thank you.

A siren sounds.

COP'S VOICE
"Pull over, buddy!"

Tim wheels in its direction, his hands flying out of his pockets.

It's the pinball machine -- "High Speed." Tim looks at it, his face drained of color.

COP'S VOICE
"You're under arrest!"

SOPHIE
All done. Let's move out. Thanks.

Sophie and Tim head for the door as the pinball machine plays its theme song.

SOPHIE
(over her shoulder)
Really, thanks.

They run out of the mini-mart, jump into the car, and pull away in a cloud of dust, Sophie behind the wheel.

INT. - GETAWAY CAR

Sophie lets out a yell as the car hits the highway. She is ecstatic.

SOPHIE
Business! That was amazing!

TIM
What the hell was that?

SOPHIE
That was a stick up! That was great!

TIM
Why'd you do that? Are you crazy?

SOPHIE
That was great. You were great -- "Hold it!"

Tim considers the complement.

TIM
You just involved me in a robbery without asking?

SOPHIE
I didn't plan it out. It just happened.

TIM
You brought a gun!

SOPHIE
I didn't know what else to do. Come on, Tim. You didn't like that?

TIM
We left Bedford without any money?

SOPHIE
My father flushed my money down the fucking toilet! I needed the cash. You don't have any. No one else was going to help us.
(waving the loot)
They can spare it.

Tim shakes his head in disbelief.

SOPHIE
Come on, that was cool. Admit it. "Hands up!"

She takes her hands off the wheel and puts them in the air. Tim grabs the wheel.

TIM
Pull over.

SOPHIE
Don't tell me you never stole anything.

TIM
Pull over. Stop the car.

Sophie guides the car toward a rest stop off the highway.

CUT TO:

EXT. - REST STOP - DAY

The car pulls into the rest stop, a patch of grass with a few vending machines and a water fountain. Sophie counts the money from the robbery as she climbs out of the car.

TIM
I can't do this.

SOPHIE
(counting)
Seventy-three... Seventy-four. Do what? Seventy-four.

TIM
We risked our lives for seventy-four dollars?

SOPHIE
We should have robbed someplace where people actually go.

TIM
We shouldn't have robbed any place!

SOPHIE
What else was I going to do?

TIM
I don't know. Get a loan.

SOPHIE
From who, Tim? Your parents, my father, Mitch, Bank of America? Nobody.

TIM
Forget it, I can't do this. I'm going home.

He finds the car key on his key ring.

TIM
You want a ride?

SOPHIE
I'm not going back.

Tim stops walking.

TIM
Ever?

SOPHIE
If I went home, my father would have me locked up. I escaped. I'm out. I'm staying out.

TIM
I thought this was a day trip to Oklahoma.

SOPHIE
We'll keep going.

Tim flips his keys in his hand.

SOPHIE
I'm not going back. This is real life. This is what everybody spends all their time waiting for. What's at home for you anyway? Parents? High school? Why go back?

TIM
I'd get to go to jail for robbing that mini-mart.

SOPHIE
Yeah.

TIM
How could you involve me like that?

SOPHIE
I got a little crazy. Call it kidnapping.

TIM
Let's go.

SOPHIE
What? Really?

TIM
Really.

He tosses her the keys.

TIM
You drive.